David's 20 Top Tips to Get Your Home Ready To Sell
I work with many sellers, and one thing I always get asked for ways we can better prepare our listing for sale. There are literally 100 or more ways, but here is a short list of 20 to get you started!
- Edge, mow and fertilize the lawn. Reseed sparse areas. Keep in mind that buyers will never want to see the interior if the exterior is unappealing!
- Trim hedges, weed lawns and flowerbeds, and prune trees. Cut back overgrown shrubbery. You don't have to go nuts, but some trimming goes a long way.
- Reseal cracks in foundation, steps, walkways, walls and patios. Power-wash the exterior.
- Clean and align gutters and downspouts; clean the chimney.
- Remove oil stains from driveway and garage. Keep walks and driveway swept or free of ice.
- Wash the windows inside and out. You'd be surprised how much difference this makes.
- Hire a cleaning service to thoroughly clean the interior. I have recommendations!
- Paint the walls and ceilings off white or beige. Or some other neutral color.
- Repair cracks, holes and damage to plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paint, and tiles.
- Replace damaged windowpanes, moldings and woodwork.
- Repair drippy faucets and showerheads. Unclog slow drains. These items always show up on the inspection report.. if you get that far. Just go ahead and take care of these small items.
- Shampoo carpets, scrub and wax linoleum or wood floors.
- Clean out the fireplace and lay some logs in it.
- Mend torn screens. Clean out all window tracks.
- Replace all burned-out light bulbs around your home. Use brighter light bulbs wherever possible. (Also, during showings, keep all windows open to let natural light in!)
- Renail creaking boards or stairs; lubricate squeaking doors.
- Clean all appliances (especially refrigerator and oven).
- Replace old toilet seats and shower curtains.
- Clear all cobwebs from corners and doorways. I recommend having the kids do this, to keep them involved in the selling process.
- Wash all light switches, handrails and doorknobs.
As always, feel free to reach out to me any time! I'm here to help!